Saturday, November 23, 2013

What a BLAST!!

I had the BEST time last night! My first time ever curling, who would have thought it would be so much fun. My biggest fear going is was that I'd fall on my ass on the ice, or that I'd suck at it so badly I'd make a fool of myself. But I thought, what the heck, if I can't laugh at myself, then who can I really laugh at. The good news is that I did not fall and I was not half bad for my first time ever. Thank goodness the team I was on was not there to win, but to have a good time. We did, however, keep it close and only lost by 2 points.

The surface of the ice for curling is prepared with a texture similar to an orange peel, which gives the stone a better surface to slide on, and also gives those on it a better grip with their shoes. Except, with the slider shoe. I was able to use a strap-on slider made of teflon on my sliding foot when I shot, but, I was NOT the graceful slider. If you watch a video, you see then sliding along on a foot making the throw......no, not me, I essentially ended up on my knees (yes they are bruised now) within a few feet of pushing off, but I was able to get the stone on the right path with the right weight and spin to make it curl into the wanted position at least a few times. I was also able to sweep the ice to help the others' throws make it further.

We laughed, we drank beer, we threw stones.......I was invited back to spare for any of the other teams as well as the one I played on which was enough validation for me to think at least I didn't totally suck. Will I do it again? YES! Will I try to stay off my knees? YES, 'cause they hurt pretty good today. :-) The two hour match (time limited, we only played about 6 ends) went by very quickly as did the gathering post play in the bar for another drink. All indicators of a good time meeting new people, and trying something new and different. Go figure.

1 comment:

Cami said...

I totally am jealous! I would love to try curling.