Monday, November 11, 2013

Let's Try this Again

I'm going to try getting back into the whole writing thing, and this forum is a great way for me to write at least something, and get my juices flowing. So, with that in mind, let's give this another go. To all two of my subscribers, thanks for playing, and to the other few who actually read my prose, thank-you as well.

Today is my first day back on my second trip to Canada. First the weather, because, let's face it. we all want to talk about the weather, especially when it is such a drastic difference from other-where. I woke up (rather late I might add) to a balmy 461 deg. R (1 F to you who don't speak absolute temperatures). The wind chill sends it down to nose numbingly cold (who really needs a number when it's that cold). The sun is shining brightly and there are just a few clouds sprinkled around the sky.

Enough weather, now back to the show. The interesting fact of Canada for the day, it is ILLEGAL for me to work today in Canada. That's right, you read that correctly, it's not  just a holiday, it's a crime for most people to work on Canada's Remembrance Day (much like the US Memorial Day). The government of Manitoba has put out a very short list of those persons (by job description) who are allowed to work this day, all others MUST take the day off, and the hope is that they/we will spend time remembering and honoring the fallen. I plan to bundle up and take a nice long walk soon as my form of remembering and honoring those that have paid this ultimate sacrifice so that we in the US and in Canada, and other countries as well, can live with the freedoms we enjoy and often take for granted. I am lucky enough to not actually know many who have given their lives in this manner, but I honor each and every one of those whose names I don't even know with my thoughts and actions today. God Bless each and every one of you.

No comments: