Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Um....Ya...


Yes, it’s cold here, but I have done more than enough posts on the weather here in Winnipeg for now, so let’s move on.

It’s time to revisit one of my old stand-by gripes in the work place. All I should have to say is, “It’s not that hard!” or “Really?!?!” generally uttered only in my head, or under my breath, but occasionally, as I drive away, I fear I will shatter a window or two with my bellows of incredulity.

Most of the people I work with are engineers. To be an engineer requires an education, and not an easy one at that. Usually we engineers are problem or puzzle solvers, and somewhat precise (read: OCD). So how is it that this one engineer I work with, who shall remain vague in reference, can’t figure out how to get two separate time card systems to agree? The first month was a learning experience for us all, but I did not find it difficult. BUT, this second month should have been a breeze after working out the kinks last month.

The powers that be back home spent 2 hours on the phone with this engineer, trying to get the two systems to reconcile so they could bill the company here. TWO HOURS!!!!!! OMG!!!! And now, we “get” to have a meeting with us here and those back there to make sure we get it right for next month. WTF?!?! I looked this person square in the eye and said, “Hmm, I didn’t get any calls for issues. It didn’t seem all that hard.” I’m not sure he really got what I was implying, oh well. His email to those of us that will meet was that the system here breaks down to tenths of an hour (6 min intervals) where the one for our company back home only to quarter hours (15 minute intervals) so he says they will never be the same. Uhhhhh, what?!?! It is your JOB to make them the same! If you need to “give” a few minutes or, oh no, work a little longer, to get them there, then DO IT. The MOST we are talking about is 24 minutes.

I have now spent more time writing this blog than I have needed in the last 2 months to get my time inputs correct such that there are NEVER any questions or issues. I’m really not that smart folks, I just listen, learn, and apply it. WOW!!!! How did you get this far as an engineer, and how in the world did you get this job? I hate to think of your competition for the position.

Okay, Judgmental Stu is going back into his box now.

No comments: