Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Late Post Today

I got distracted after work today, not on anything special, just distracted, so finally getting to the blog.

I am hopeful I did not come off too "know it all" in an around the desk gathering at work today. At a nearby desk I overheard part of a conversation, and being interested, I got up, scooted around the cube farm walls, and joined the conversation. I didn't jump right in, I listened, learned, etc. then technical lead of the box I am working with looked at me and asked, "Do you have any experience with X?" X being the subject of discussion, yet not really important for this story so we'll leave it an undefined variable.

My response, "Yes." Then we started discussing the issue at hand, and the problems they were having. I jumped right in with talk of solution A, followed shortly by solution 2 and idea IV. (Yes, just dummy variables again. It's all really technical, so you wouldn't understand)  :-P

I didn't run away with the conversation, and we batted around the ideas and settled quickly on a couple I had presented since they made sense, were easy to implement, and I had data to share of how well they have worked in the past in my experience.

These are the ends of work days that make me realize how much of this stuff I really do know, and how good I really am at what I do. And, I will add, that as I have said to many for years, as an engineer, I am also a salesman, selling my ideas and getting them to buy my solutions. The art of communication in a technical field is far to often dismissed. I believe differently and feel real good about how my communication skills were able to help the team come up with some solutions today that will save money, reduce risk and are easily implemented.

Yeah, I did good............and I am not too humble to occasionally say that I am really good at this.

No comments: