Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Schedule?...

The phrase used often in Aerospace Test is once a schedule is printed it is obsolete. Once again we are proving this to be the case. One of many tasks I have these days is to coordinate with outside test laboratories to ensure we have a time slot for the box we are building and testing. On the cover, not a big deal. But, after the 4th or 5th email saying, here are new dates, ones credibility flies out the window. I guess part of the problem is that the project managers push with optimism, and see with schedule driven glasses, and those of us doing the work find it takes a bit longer to put the paperwork together, gather the materials, do the work on the box, and close out the paperwork. This is NEVER a two hour process, not even the paperwork part. Oh Well.

So I updated my schedule this afternoon, based purely on speculation since we are not actually into the first test yet that is supposed to be completed tomorrow (not going to happen), and somehow, magically, I came out with the same test dates at the remote facility. How did I do that?!?!?! It was actually pretty easy, I put some realism (and weekend work) into a schedule that was not mine to maintain until this week. Now I control it, and I can track it better. Also, the drive time that HAD to be 3 days a couple of months ago when we started planning, is actually a 26 hour drive. a two driver team and BAM, one day trip, amazing how quickly I can use that time. :-), let them load the truck and drive on the weekend, and BAM BAM, schedule still works. woohoo!!

Once again I am proving that what I do is not rocket science (nor rocket surgery) BUT having a history of experience doing this a number of time sure does help.


No comments: