Thursday, September 06, 2007

Colonoscopy

Just the sounds of that word as you let it roll off your tongue seems ominous. Let's break it down for you readers: oscopy -- examination using a scope (in this case a long thin flexible scope with a camera), colon -- the inner most regions of ones nether world. This afternoon, I get the "joy" of having a doctor examine the inner most regions of my nether world. I was warned by others I know who have had this same experience that the preparations are the worst part. Well, if that's the case, the rest of the day shouldn't be so bad. I took yesterday and today off of work so I could be on a clear liquid only diet. I was taken off of all pain medications excluding acetaminophen (a semi-worthless drug at best in my opinion) on Monday. Due to the pain that let loose in my body, I missed out on playing 9 holes of golf with John and Derek and witnessing what John has told me was the best round of his life, he shot 1 over par 37. Great job John, very impressive, I wish I could have been there with you for that one! Back to the preps... I had to drink a concoction to help prepare my nether world for examination, an 8 oz. glass every 10 minutes until I drank 9 glasses. Do the math folks, that's 72 ounces, a half gallon. 4 more glasses of the stuff when I got up this morning and I am nearly "clean as a whistle, inside and out" (a few MASH aficionado's will get that one). No more fluids or anything starting in about a half hour, boy am I hungry, haven't eaten anything solid since 7 pm on Tuesday, it is now Thursday at 10:25 am. Not the best diet in the world, but I am anxious to weigh in tomorrow morning to see how much I lost in this process. Okay, enough about this thing already........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you say, son, the preparation is almost formidable, but endurable. The actual test is nothing but lying still for a while, which is a thing for some of us.

I love you, Son.

Anonymous said...

WELL? How'd everything come out? So to speak...

As much as I too wish you were there for my round of golf... I'm glad I wasn't around for this hole in one!

-Hope you're doing well...
JCAS