Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Beirut Remembrance Walk

Below is some gently edited text from Doc Doolittle, a gentleman I have known for a short time but am getting to know better and whom I have a great amount of respect for. As my readers know, my blog doesn't ask for donations to causes, it doesn't take political stances, it is only for the things I care about. Thanks to all for taking the time to read and remember. Text below:

Greetings to all

I wish to take a few minutes of your time to share. I am not asking that everyone who gets the word contribute to the cause but I am asking that you, and any you forward this on to, take a moment on 23 October 2008 to Remember the Peacekeepers that lost their lives in Beirut on that date in 1983 as well as those between 1982 & 1984.

I will be comforted in knowing that my efforts to get the word out and for people to remember these fallen warriors is enough. This is not a political event; nor is it likely to get much publicity. I am doing what I can in their memory and with your help this will be a successful event.

If you have any questions please contact me at the published email address in the text below

Thank you for passing the word

Beirut Remembrance Walk - 25th Anniversary of the Bombing of the Beirut Barracks 23 October, 1983, to benefit The Wounded Marine & Family Assistance Program and Veterans Memorial Day Tribute.
In this first-time walk of remembrance, Doc Doolittle (Sgt. USMC 1/81 - 6/91, Marine Security Guard Beirut 7/85 - 7/86), challenges everyone to never forget the sacrifices that were made by our Marines, Sailors and Soldiers as he walks 271 miles from Virginia Beach, VA to the Marine Corp Base at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, NC. "Our goal is simple; we will organize a walk to honor our fallen brothers and their families", Doc states.
This walk is to not only mark the 25th anniversary of that tragic event, but also to remember each Service Member's life lost in Lebanon from 1982 - 1984. It is so friends, family of the fallen, veterans and anyone else has an opportunity to walk a mile for one of our own that were killed in country. The walk will kick-off on 1 October in Virginia Beach, VA and cover 271 miles (one for each man lost), and will culminated at the Beirut Memorial (Jacksonville, NC; just outside Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base) on 23 October, 2008. In Doc’s words, “I am walking to remember those Marines, Sailors and Soldiers that "Gave All" during that period. I know a number of family members and veterans and it is the least I can do to show honor to them and the memory of the fallen.”
A $10 donation will provide lodging, food and support transportation on the walk and all monies over and above costs will be divided equally and sent to the two sponsors listed below.
For further information on how you can be involved, please contact Doc Doolittle here remember_peacekeepers_walk_2008@hotmail.com

The Wounded Marine & Family Assistance Program by clicking HERE

Veterans Memorial Day Tribute (Denver, CO) by clicking HERE

No comments: