Thursday, August 21, 2008

Really?

So my family and I were at a local chain store that shall remain nameless, but it rhymes with shmarget. We were checking out, and the cashier, in her nicest voice asked if we had found everything okay. My response was "No, we couldn't find any Silly Putty." You could actually hear the crickets in the next county. I don't think anyone had actually said no before, at least to her. She did not offer to point us to it, nor did she call on her handy-dandy radio to see if another person in the store might be able to offer assistance. In fact, she offered no assistance what-so-ever. So my question is, why ask? I guess it's store lingo for "How ya' doin'?" Isn't our new society great?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is your Dad with another possible reason that the response was such, even though we have giant suspicions that this society "ain't too great." Perhaps, just perhaps, leaving the checker-outer a little space, perhaps, again, she was just a new-hire. We run across these situations whenever we have expectations of others -- yes, even on the job, Stu.
Dad